Thursday, July 24, 2014

So...What was so important again?

As I was going to sleep the other night I got to thinking about what was really important in life. For one reason or another my life could be completely turned upside-down in a moment. Airplanes crash (or get shot down), cars crash, terminal illnesses happen, and all manner of freak accidents can happen at the most inopportune times. So if something were to happen to me tomorrow, which of my agenda items should not be left undone and which ones have so little value that there's no need to fret about them? Here is what I came up with:

  • The bugs that need to be fixed for Customer A...someone else could possibly figure it out so, no.
  • The project for Customer B that they have been waiting for over 2 months to receive...hey, what's another month or 2.
  • Cutting, hauling, splitting, and stacking the firewood pile for the winter? Not really, we do have gas heat too.
  • The dent in the back of the van? Um, no.
  • Mowing the grass? Someone else could do it.
  • Teaching my daughter how to ride her bike? ... Probably--and we all know it has little to do with riding a bike.
  • Playing catch with my son? ...quite possibly
  • Finishing the remodeling project in my house? ...well, that might depend on who you ask.
  • Helping someone remove viruses from their computer during dinner time? Hey, you can always do a factory restore :) What pictures?
  • Tell my wife, "I love you"? ...I believe this would certainly count as important.
  • Telling my children that I love them? ...ditto
  • Spending time with the neighbor children who think my backyard is a park? ...this should probably go on the list.
  • Knowing where I will spend eternity after I die? ...The "rich man" in Luke 16:19-31 seemed to think it was pretty important after experiencing the reality of it.
What's on your list?

No comments:

Post a Comment