Saturday, July 12, 2014

Oh NO! My Computer has ay-der and wanings reports!

Scammers R Us called me

WARNING!: Please do not let these folks connect to your computer! If you receive a call like this DO NOT let them connect to your computer!

Now enough of the warnings. I got a call from the "Windows Technical Department from Microsoft" (sounds better if you read this with a thick accent) this evening and instead of witnessing to them I was feeling mischievous and decided to record the call. It was UN-believable, my computer had ay-ders on it... say what? I was informed that the ay-ders were some sort of virus and the warnings were corruptions. (I was rolling my eyes) Any computer will have at least a few errors and probably quite a few warnings because, well software is not perfect. Most errors are meaningless and most warnings are benign although us techie types go looking through the error log when there are problems. It's kind of like your Service Engine light in your car...if it's running fine, what's the point. :) There's a motorhead somewhere that is going to send me an informative e-mail about Service Engine lights.




Anyway, there were some good lines in the conversation, for example, click on "OK, or continue or other positive command at the bottom of the screen." Really? For some reason they switched callers part way through, not sure if the Event Viewer was too technical for the first one.

I quit when it was time to connect to my computer. I was not familiar with "Show My PC" and so I was quickly Googling it to see what it is. From what I gathered is that "ShowMyPc" is just another wrapped up VNC service although interestingly enough it is a paid for service. They did not seem to offer a "For Free" version. My guess is that if you could figure out the user if you had all the right info. Also from some quick research I figured out they want to charge you to continue protection on your computer...yeah right!

What really needed to happen would have been for me to relate the good news of the Gospel to these fellows...who knows where they were really calling from perhaps from a country that is closed to the Gospel. But I didn't. How many opportunities do I miss?

No comments:

Post a Comment