Sunday, July 20, 2014

Community Evangelism


I decided to post my (abbreviated) notes from today's Sunday School lesson. The lesson text is taken from 1 Thessalonians chapter 2.

Introduction
Paul and Silas visited Thessalonica on their first missionary journey and they got run out before they were ready to leave and in this letter they are checking up on the good folks of Thessalonica. In the last lesson (chapter 1), Paul greets and blesses the Thessalonians. In this chapter, Paul explains his attitude and that of his team which appears to have consisted of several people. At the very least Silas and Timothy and possibly Luke were traveling with Paul at this time.

Paul gives a number of tips on how to be an effective missionary in a new town.
  • It may require suffering. Verse 2 and see Matthew 5:10-12 
  • Bold in declaring truth despite contention. Verse 2 and see Matthew 28:18-20 
  • Preach Gospel not out of deceit, uncleanness, or guile (sly or cunning intelligence). Paul didn't come and try to trick the people into believing. Instead (verse 4) they spoke the Gospel in an attempt to please God. 
  • Speaking (did not live as the silent in the land) the Gospel in a way pleasing to God. Verse 4 and see Romans 10:14-15. 
  • Not flattering. Verse 5 and see Romans 16:17-18 
  • Not out of covetousness (other missionaries perhaps) Verse 5. 
  • Not seeking glory for being a missionary. Verse 6. 
  • Not burdening the people we are trying to reach by making them support us. Verse 6. This goes along with verse 9. 
  • Gentle as a nurse to her children...what kind of gentleness is that? Verse 7. 
  • Loving the people. Verse 8. How can you explain the Gospel to people you are prejudiced against? 
  • Gave of their lives to the people, not just the Gospel. 
  • Made no profit of the Gospel (money) verse 9. Paul and his team did not live like leeches on the church they were trying to plant. It has been said that our pastors should be fully supported and our missionaries should have to work to provide for themselves. 
  • Lived righteously among the people. Verse 10. Nothing turns people away quicker than a hypocrite. 
  • Paul treated the people as a father should treat his children. Verse 11. 
Success
Because of all these things the people in Thessalonica received the message of the Gospel as the Word of God. Verses 13-14. They also have a bit in common with the churches of Judea because they are suffering at the hands of their countrymen just like the Jewish Christians. With success came opposition.

Paul's final glory and prize comes when Christ returns verse 19.

Conclusion
When I worked in a local factory I was very nervous about how the foreman and bosses saw me working or not working. What if I broke something? One day the Holy Spirit laid something on my heart. If I work to please God, I don't need to worry about what the foreman or boss thinks of my labors because ultimately it is God to whom I will need to answer for my motives and actions ("[He] trieth our hearts" I Thess 2:4). Now you would think that such a calling would place more stress on me, actually it worked just the opposite. I was less stressed about what the foreman thought or saw in me. I was more relaxed and productive. So take into consideration I Thess. 2:4, am I speaking the Gospel as pleasing God or men?

1 comment:

  1. I taught this lesson at our church this morning. Very similar observations to what I shared this morning!

    ReplyDelete