Tuesday, November 18, 2014

How shall we live?

 I became a bookworm...well not really but I did just finish 2 books that have really gotten me thinking. The first one I finished was "How Should We Then Live?" by Francis A. Schaeffer. I should say that I "listened" to it rather than read it, that's the same thing, right?

In this book Mr. Schaeffer looks at the history of the culture and church from the time of Roman Empire at the time of Christ until the 1970's (or early 1980's). One of the things that he points out throughout the book is how art reflected the worldview of the culture and the artists. The main point of his thesis is how culture and man in general degrades when he resorts to humanistic thinking (ie. Man begins with himself to find the answers to life) and he revives when he turns to God for his answers and begins with an Almighty Creator as his foundation for thinking.

The second book, (I read this one) was "Will the Real Heretics Please Stand Up" by David W. Bercot. (This is pronounced "Burr-so" not "Burr-kot".) Wow, did this one ever get my wheels turning. Mr Bercot has spent a lot of time studying the writings of the early church leaders particularly the Ante-Nicean writers (ante-Nicaean means before the Council of Nicaea in 325 AD not "against" Nicaea). He reviews how these early Christians understood the Scripture and the Gospel message. Mr. Bercot made a significant effort to find the teachings that were universally taught in various places and at various points in time.

There are several issues he discusses as examples of what these men taught and understood:
  • Salvation
  • Predestination/Free will
  • Baptism
  • Abortion
  • Divorce
  • Military Service and/or government involvement.
  • Living in community/brotherhood.
  • Prosperity ie. health and wealth gospel.
Then the writer switches gears and looks at how things changed in the early 300's with Constantine as well as the effects of Augustine's teachings. I never realized how much Augustine's teachings influenced the church from Catholicism to the Reformation. Much of the Reformed/Lutheran theology is based on Augustine's teaching. 

I don't want to create a tl;dr post so I will try to get to the point. I also don't want to insult your intelligence by re-typing the entire book(s) here...you can read them yourself (and you should). Here's my question: How should we then live? 

  1. With an unwavering commitment to Christ despite rejection, persecution, trials, family ties, financial success or failure, and temptation.
  2. A life of holiness.
Sounds simple...Jesus said that "my yoke is easy and my burden is light" Matthew 11:30. This Gospel is still easier than carrying around a load of guilt and regret.

No comments:

Post a Comment