Saturday, June 28, 2014

Is It My Day?

Your Day

It's very unfortunate that I missed taking a picture of the highlight of this bike ride. We found a snapping turtle along the path. My son had never seen one.
This evening I once again heard this question, "Is it my 'day'?"

Several years ago I started this ritual with my children where I would take each of them out for some individualized attention. This has got to be an eye-rolling, "Daddy-do-we-have-to-go" kind of thing, right? WRONG! Couldn't miss it if we wanted to. It's more like, "Daddy, is it my turn?"

I must confess that sometimes I am tired and I don't feel like going away 1 more night this week. Somehow I always come back with a little new insight into my child's life and that I never regret.

What do we do for the "special time"? We go for a bike rides, in poor weather, which is normal over the winter, we hit McDonalds for a hot chocolate or ice cream. For the younger ones, the swings at the park are perfect. I make a point of not spending much, if any. Sometimes the "special time" is a little lame like a shopping trip to Wal-Mart, but hey, they chatter to me all the way there and all the way back. Some of my children require me to bring up the topics and don't have as much to say, others...well I wish they would let me answer the last question before they ask the next one.

I have learned to keep my eyes open for something that might interest my children, for instance my oldest likes the Main Street Mercantile and the Tin Ceiling Gift Shoppe so one Saturday we went shopping. One time we happened by UPB and noticed the helicopter (ambulance) had landed. The security guard that was hanging around to make sure no one gets too close took us up to the chopper and my son got to see what they look like.
Yeah this was a while ago.

This one was from some time ago, too...2 years to be exact. It was just as fun then as it is today.

Don't know if this picture qualifies. This was with Grandpa
 to watch the fire trucks.
Oh and big brother was along too.
Got any ideas for me? Post them below.





No comments:

Post a Comment