Monday, May 19, 2014

A Little Physics Lesson

Bike Ramp??
Saturday evening I heard a clatter of boards on concrete. Hmm, I wonder what that was? I better go investigate.

My son and the neighbor boy had decided to build a bike ramp with some boards they found. In my extensive wisdom and experience (cough, cough), I spotted a slight problem. Shall we call it a fulcrum? Right there about two-thirds of the way up the ramp.

I began to do some calculations, let's see, on Thursday night a neighbor girl fell and hurt her leg and is now hobbling around on crutches and a this particular neighbor boy had gone home crying because the boys had decided to "fight" with sticks and he had gotten "whacked". OK, I better intervene here lest I end up testing my homeowner's liability insurance policy.

I proceeded to point out their engineering mistake and corrected their calculations.

Guess what it worked. So did the slow motion feature of my Moto G


Oops, kind of.

Oh and it worked for other things.

It reminds me of Proverbs 3:5-7:
5 Trust in the Lord with all your heart
    and lean not on your own understanding;
6 in all your ways submit to him,
    and he will make your paths straight.
Often times I think I know how to do things but it is a disaster waiting to happen. If I stop to ask *how* I should go about something, He always has a good answer.

~T

No comments:

Post a Comment